Friday, April 11, 2008

My experience in Sydney

I had applied for the student visa sometime around early April of 2006. My family and I had rushed through the visa application process in order to complete it before the indefinite protests by the Seven-Party Alliance brought everything to a standstill. But we did manage to get it mailed before it.
The multimedia design course at Billy Blue School of Graphic Arts was due to start at 24th July, and by 17th I didn’t have any news about the visa. None of the applications had been had been approved yet; neither were any of them denied. When inquired about the delay, the Australian High Commission in New Delhi replied it was because a high ranking officer had been sick for a couple of days. A rather poor excuse for Australian High Commission.
Finally, I got the confirmation of approval (better known as pre-Visa) on around 20th July (by which time I was given a 2 week extension to the date of enrollment at Billy Blue) , and after a few days I had got the back the passport with the visa stamped on it, thanks to Mr. Subha Bhattachan, Pac Asia. He did a huge favour, and personally flew to New Delhi with my passport and brought it back with the visa on it.
With the visa on the passport, I that was it, and it was smooth sailing from then. Boy, was I wrong! On Pac Asia’s suggestion, I went went buy the ticket from Everest Travel Service (ETS). My first shock was to learn that it is extremely difficult to get a ticket for the flight from Bangkok to Sydney. Mr. Pranil Pradhan, Manager of ETS, having studied in Austra-lia, gave me some very useful tips. I would recommend this to everyone coming Australia, because it is very important to clear any kind of preconception and get clear picture of life in Australia as an international student. He also gave me voucher for free dental checkup at Dent Inn. I knew I needed to a dentist before leaving because the overseas health cover didn’t cover dentals and it is very expensive to any sort of dental procedure; but hadn’t brought myself to doing it. When I got to Dent Inn, Dr. Prabighya Siwakoti concluded that I needed at-least one tooth extraction (I had an extra pre-molar) and a root canal treatment, besides scaling and polishing the teeth. This would atleast take 2 weeks to complete! My orientation week at Billy Blue would start in less two week’s time. I wasn’t sure at all what to do.....click here to read more ( http://yakmandoo.com/experiences.php?country=2&page=7 )
Parag Satyal paragsatyal@bbsga.com.au http://www.paragsatyal.com/ Sydney, Australia

6 comments:

Tim Cahill said...

Here is a site specifically for English students in Sydney - it is only new, but enjoy:

http://sydneyenglishstudent.blogspot.com

Runil said...

Hello,

I am Shirish, a reporter at the Kathmandu Post, and am doing a feature for the Saturday special on Blogging. The piece will come on 29th August, 09. I read your blog, and I was wondering if you could be so kind as to answer some of my queries. I cannot guarantee that you will be quoted, but your help will definitely let the readers know more of blogging in Nepal.

You may answer all, or any question you feel like answering. You may provide any extra information, and your name, real or an ID, but must understand that you may be quoted by the Post. Please mail your answers to shirishp@wlink.com.np

What is your occupation?

What age group do you think you fall in: <16, 16-31, 31-49, 49-65, above 65?

Why do you blog?

When did you start blogging from? Why?

What makes you keep blogging, without any strong incentive?

How many bloggers do you think are there in Nepal?

Do you regularly read other bloggers? How many, and how many are Nepali?

Do you believe that a blog can really make a difference? If yes, How?

I hope the questions are not too bothersome.

Happy Writing!

-Shirish

Unknown said...

Informative for students who dream to go abroad.

house in kathmandu said...

nice and detail press.

online shopping in nepal

Anonymous said...

म एडम्स KEVIN, Aiico बीमा plc को एक प्रतिनिधि, हामी भरोसा र एक ऋण बाहिर दिन मा व्यक्तिगत मतभेद आदर। हामी ऋण चासो दर को 2% प्रदान गर्नेछ। तपाईं यस व्यवसाय मा चासो हो भने अब आफ्नो ऋण कागजातहरू ठीक जारी हस्तांतरण ई-मेल (adams.credi@gmail.com) गरेर हामीलाई सम्पर्क। Plc.you पनि इमेल गरेर हामीलाई सम्पर्क गर्न सक्नुहुन्छ तपाईं aiico बीमा गर्न धेरै स्वागत छ भने व्यापार वा स्कूल स्थापित गर्न एक ऋण आवश्यकता हो (aiicco_insuranceplc@yahoo.com) हामी सन्तुलन स्थानान्तरण अनुरोध गर्न सक्छौं पहिलो हप्ता।

व्यक्तिगत व्यवसायका लागि ऋण चाहिन्छ? तपाईं आफ्नो इमेल संपर्क भने उपरोक्त तुरुन्तै आफ्नो ऋण स्थानान्तरण प्रक्रिया गर्न
ठीक।

Yakthungba said...

nice post,
visit this blog about Limbuwan :
https://limbuwankingdom.blogspot.com